BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

What Really Matters

So I started posting stuff about mason jars yesterday, but I didn't feel inspired. Not that mason jars aren't awesome. But it wasn't the right time or something, so I let it go.

Then today I found out something big. One of my good friends, who is pregnant, is going to have to be induced next week. She's only 8 months pregnant.  If she doesn't, the baby will die. I won't go into the details, since she's a friend and I don't want to air it all out on as public a venue as the internet.  But it really brought me back to what is important.

'Love God. Love People. Nothing Else Matters.' I got that from Mission Year, a Christian organization, but it's really what Jesus taught. I was coming home tonight from Bible Study, where my friend told me this about her and her baby, and I thought about this blog and it hit me that that's why I couldn't talk about mason jars yesterday. Mason jars are an awesome thing at weddings, and maybe someday I'll talk about that, but they really don't matter.

Dresses don't matter. Food doesn't matter. Centerpieces, invitations, these don't matter.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with these things. But it's love that matters. And not just 'oh, what a wonderful feeling love' but 'I will stick by you when you're withering away from cancer, or lose your job, or get fat or thin or ugly. I will laugh with you when it's raining and hold your hand when the sun is shining. I will make you a priority, all the days of my life.' That is what love is. Not just between a couple, but between friends or family. That is what is of value. Always.


When I was engaged in the past, I remember getting so irritated with brides on wedding forums who would say to every frustrated, stressed bride, 'Well if at the end of the day you and your fiance are married, that's all that matters.' I was irritated not because it was inaccurate, but because they never said it in a spirit of love, but instead in a spirit of 'Oh, get over it already!' And that's not how I want this to come across.

I'm saying it's okay to spend energy on picking out flowers or shoes. It's okay to debate over and over about the importance of the invitation font. It's okay.

But just don't let the details make you forget what really matters. I really want the wedding. I want everyone to come. I want there to be food and dancing and me in a lovely dress. But I also know that if it doesn't happen, it's not what REALLY matters. Sometimes I DO get so caught up in the details that I lose touch. I let a minor disappointment ruin things. And I don't want that to happen to me. Or to you.

So take a moment and breathe. Think of the ones you love. Remember them, remember what really matters.

And if you pray, please pray for my friend, her baby, and her husband. Thanks.

0 comments: